Fuengirola in the heart of the Costa del Sol. From a humble fishing village to an exemplary city dedicated to tourism without losing its charm.
Where is Fuengirola located
Fuengirola is located in the heart of the Costa del Sol, 33 km from Malaga capital with a population of 80.309 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 11 km square.
Origin of the name Fuengirola
- Phoenician era: Syalis
- Roman Period: Suel
- Muslim era: Sohail or Suhayl
- XV century: Font-Jirona
Demonym of the people of Alameda
The inhabitants are called “Fuengiroleño or Fuengiroleña”.
Curiosities of Fuengirola
- In 1808 The Battle of Fuengirola was fought during the Peninsular War.
- Fuengirola is the only municipality in Andalusia that contains the five vowels in its name.
- Quino, the cartoonist and creator of Mafalda is of Fuengirola origin.
Where to park in Fuengirola?
Fuengirola has a lot of parking options. Along its 8 km of promenade there is blue zone parking that is paid during certain hours. In the following streets you find white zone that is free of charge. In general it is not difficult to park. Only in the summer months it is a little more difficult, but in case of extreme difficulty there are always the fairground area and the Miramar area where there are many parking slots.
Monuments and places of interest in Fuengirola
- Sohail Castle: Next to the Fuengirola river is the fortress built in 956 on some Roman ruins. The fortress was expanded during the XII-XV centuries becoming a large castle. In 1810 the Battle of Fuengirola took place, which caused the partial destruction of the Castle. Already at the end of the 20th century the castle was restored as we know it today.
- Museo Municipal: It is located next to the Town Hall in the center. Good place to discover Fuengirola from the Phoenicians era to the present day. It houses a large number of historical objects found in the Fuengirola area such as the Roman sculpture <Venus de Fuengirola>.
- Finca Romana del Secretario (Los Boliches): The Roman site of Fuengirola has the remains of an old salting factory, a pottery workshop and some Roman baths. Thanks to the Interpretation Center of the Secretary’s Estate, you can see a recreation of the Roman Estate.
- Mosque Fuengirola: Also known as “Suhail Islamic Cultural Center”, it was effectively inaugurated in December 1992 (1413 Hegira) and officially in October 1993 (11414 Hegira). The idea of creating a Mosque in Fuengirola that would bring together all the Muslims residing on the Costa del Sol and in the neighboring provinces came from the Hon. Mr. Mohamed Bashir Kurdi. Little by little, this idea was gaining adherents, obtaining the support of prominent Islamic personalities and local politicians who understood the importance of creating a mosque that would help Muslims preserve their identity in total harmony with the process of their integration into their society. welcome, and that it would be a bridge between the different cultures and religions, so that, through constructive dialogue, we could reach a better understanding, thus achieving a better world.
- Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario: Church of Our Lady of the Rosary is the main church of the municipality and is located at the Plaza de la Constitución. The temple was built in the middle of the 20th century. During the patronal celebrations in October the flamenco mass is celebrated in honor of the Virgen del Rosario. Inside the temple there is an image of the Virgin from 1947 that presides over the altar.
- Church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen
- Church Nuestra Señora del Carmen y Santa Fe
- Church of San José: This temple located in the Boquetillo neighborhood was built in 1974 on the old hermitage of Santa María del Mar.
- Salón Varietes: The only english speaking theatre at the Costa del Sol, with dozens of shows every season such as musicals, theatre plays and concerts.
- Fountain of Nations (Los Boliches): Monument dedicated to the 132 different nationalities that coexist in Fuengirola, the size of the flags represent the proportion of inhabitants of that country.
- Sculpture of Virgen del Carmen (Los Boliches): Monument to the patron saint of Los Boliches, along with a lovely square facing the sea.
- Roman Baths (Torreblanca)
- Las Presas Trail (Torreblanca): From the promenade you can access a small river under the bridge that takes you to the Parque de Europa in Torreblanca.
- Plaza de Toros: The bullring was inaugurated on July 8, 1962 and can hold approximately 4,000 people. The façade of the plaza was remodeled on the occasion of the 50th anniversary in 2012. The bullring is also used to host other types of shows such as concerts, festivals, and equestrian contests and hitching contests.
- Monumento Virgen del Carmen: Our Lady of the Los Boliches neighborhood and protector of fishermen and sailors. The monument located on the promenade since the mid-80s. Due to the corrosion of the previous monument, the Virgin was replaced by a new one in 2017.
- Virgen de Fátima Chapel: Colorful chapel located next to the Virgen del Carmen monument dedicated to the Virgin of Fátima.
- Monument to Juanito: (November 10, 1954, Fuengirola – April 2, 1992, Toledo). Also nicknamed “The Genius of Fuengirola“. This player of Fuengiroleño origin, went from the Los Boliches categories to go to the highest level of Spanish football playing for the Spanish national team, Atlético de Madrid, Burgos C.F., C.D. Malaga, but where he stood out most was in Real Madrid where he became a legend, every game that Real Madrid plays at home, in the 7th minute of the game the fans shout “illa, illa, illa, Juanito maravilla” (marvilla means wonderful), since this number was his shirt number. He passed away in a car accident in 1992.
Leisure in Fuengirola
- Bioparc Fuengirola: It is an animal park dedicated to the conservation of species recreating their habitat and environment. In this park you can enjoy a zoo-immersion of around 200 species.
- Fuengirola Adventure Golf:Next to the Miramar shopping center is this fun, open-air 18-hole Mini-Golf. It has a bar and offers food. Do not forget to ask about the combined offers of a Miniature Golf game with some food.
- Marenostrum Fuengirola: Located next to the Sohail Castle beach, it is a set of outdoor shows during the spring and summer months. This event has one of the most exclusive stages in Spain by the sea and in front of the Castle, which has attracted Fuengirola to great international and national artists.
- City Tour Train Fuengirola:Discover and move around the city with the tourist train. The tour has five stops that pass through the most emblematic points and monuments of the city. The route has the hop-on hop-off modality, you can use the service as many times as you want. The ticket office is located on the seafront in front of the El Puerto hotel.
History of Fuengirola
This town was founded by the Phoenicians, although it is believed through the writings of Hecateo in 500 BC by an Iberian tribe called Bastetanos where they mention Syalis.
In Roman times it began to be called Suel, the Romans left their mark on Fuengirola through the remains such as the Finca del Secretario, baths, and fish salting factories that we can find close to the Sohail Castle.
In the 5th century the area is occupied by vandals. Then there is a period when there is not much information, it is believed that the area was depopulated due to a tsunami or continuous piracy attacks. Read More…
Events and festivities in Fuengirola
- January 5: Three Kings Parade, starting around seven in the afternoon, dozens of decorated trucks crossing Fuengirola center on the main road, distributing tons of candy.
- End of April: International People’s Fair, in the fairground dozens of pavilions become countries for 5-6 days. Each country offers its most typical foods and traditions. In general, on May 1 in the morning, a parade of all the participating countries goes from the town hall to the venue.
- Summer: Film Festival on the beach.
- June 24, Noche de San Juan: the night of June 23 is celebrated with barbecues and “moragas” on the beaches of Fuengirola.
- July: Noche Viva, this event goes on all around the town center, where all shops open til late with great discounts, street musicians play on each corner, concerts on the main squares, children activities.
- Week of July 16: Los Boliches Fair, patron saint festivities in honor of the Virgen del Carmen.
- October 6 to 12: Fuengirola Fair and in honor of the Virgen del Rosario, patron saint of the city. On the fairground, the pavilions become a fair booth offering local cuisine with traditional music. During the day you can enjoy the floats and horse carriages.
- December: Children’s Medieval Festival, the center of Fuengirola goes back in time with activities, theaters and classic children’s games of a lifetime.
Markets in Fuengirola
- Mercacentro: Traditional market where you can buy fresh daily products such as meat, fish, fruits, flowers, spices, etc.
- Mercado Los Boliches: Closed market near Los Boliches train station to buy fresh products.
- Tuesday at the fairground: In the morning between 9:00 and 14:00. Sale of clothes, shoes, fruits, vegetables, sheets, etc.
- Saturday at the fairground: In the morning between 9:00 and 14:00. Second hand articles.
- Sunday: Market in the Doña Sofía Park – Next to the Mosque
- Christmas Market: During the Christmas season around twenty cabins with a Christmas themed products are installed at the Plaza de la Constitución.
- Medieval Market: During a week in August-September a market is held at Sohail Castle, where you go back to the 13th century with medieval music, along with performances by minstrels and troubadours. There is a terrace to enjoy food, to buy handcrafted products and the little ones can enjoy children’s entertainment.
The markets on the Fairgrounds can be suspended during: heavy rains, La Feria del Rosario, Feria del Carmen or International Fair
Where to eat and drink in Fuengirola
Bar Belga Fuengirola: Belgian bar with more than 100 Belgian beers established in 1998 is part of the nightlife area in the center of Fuengirola. Its cozy terrace, its music and its charming owners make this place a must-visit when passing through Fuengirola.
Studio Drink & Bites Bar: Located on Calle Oviedo, with a modern atmosphere and good prices next to the Hotel Puerto. It has its cozy terrace on a quiet street, on rainy or cold days it has a spacious interior with some nice sitting corners. It has a back room for billiards lovers. The host Richard of Dutch origin is very cheerful and pleasant, he always has time for his clients, and don’t forget to try his Dutch tapas, or ask for his Crocodile shot game.
Gastronomy of Fuengirola
- Fuengirola cakes
- Fried fish
- Fideos a la banda
- Malaga salad