Júzcar known worldwide as the Smurf Village but this town has much more to offer than the color blue, its a small town in the Serranía of Ronda with great history and interest in the world of mycology.
Where is Júzcar located
Júzcar is located 117km from Malaga capital with a population of 253 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 33Km square.
The origin of the name Júzcar
Until now we do not know the origin of the name Júzcar, if you have more information about the origin of the name send us an email.
Demonym of the people of Júzcar
The inhabitants are called “juzcareño or juzcareña”.
Monuments and places of interest in Júzcar
- Church of Santa Catalina: Located in the Plaza de la Virgen de Moclón in the center of the town. The temple was built in the 16th century, built on a rectangular floor plan with simple architecture. During the 18th century, the image of Moclón was moved from the deserted village Moclón, which is currently abandoned, and was brought to this temple.
- Mycological Museum of Júzcar: A museum and interpretation center about the world of mushrooms. The visitor can enjoy and learn through banners, models and photographs related to the mycological world.
- La Real Fábrica de Hojalata de San Miguel
- El Torcal de los Riscos
- El Puente del Molino
- El castañar del Genal
- The Mills
- Almáchar Fountain: The fountain is located next to an important road that connects the town with Estepona. The fountain was renovated for the last time in 1977 but, like the other fountains in the town, they have supplied water to the residents and animals for centuries.
- Fuente la Chorrera: Located in the lower neighborhood of the village. It collects the water from a spring and stores it in a rectangular cistern together with two small basins on both sides that are sometimes used as a drinking trough. The rainwater is filtered through the cracks in the limestone rocks of the Sierra del Oreganal just like in the other sources of the town.
Where to eat in Júzcar
- Hotel Bandolero: This hotel-restaurant is located at the entrance of the village. The hotel has cozy and clean rooms. The restaurant has good quality dishes with abundant quantities. We highlight the roast pork tenderloin with chestnut cream.
For more information about Júzcar Village: visit the City Council page