Cañete la Real surprises with its rural, gastronomic, and cultural elements that a village in the interior of the province can have.
Where is Cañete la Real located
Cañete la Real is located 80km from Malaga capital with a population of 1.665 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 165,24kkm square.
Origin of the name of Cañete la Real
The name comes from Arabic and referring to the fortress (Hisn) in the area called “Hisn-Qanit“, “Hisn-Cannit” which means “Castle of Canit“. While the word “Canit” comes from the word “Caños” (pipe) that referest to the many water pipes that are found in the town.
Denonym of the people of Cañete la Real
The inhabitants are called “cañetero or cañetera“.
Monuments and places of interest in Cañete la Real
- Church of San Sebastian: The temple was erected at the beginning of the 16th century. The main stone portal with a semicircular arch was built in 1740. The church is divided into three naves separated by columns. Inside, we highlight the chapel of the Virgen del Caño Santo, patron saint of Cañete Real. The brick-built tower stands out from the landscape of the area. The bells were recast in 1975 and received the names of: Padre Jesús, San Sebastián, Caños Santos, and Nuestra Señora del Rosario. It is one of the most colorful churches in the province of Malaga.
- Castle of Hins Canit
- Convent of San Francisco
- Monastery of Santísimo Sacramento
- Hermitage of Carmen
- Hermitage of Padre Jesús
- Hermitage of Santa Ana
- Hermitage of la Virgen de los Remedios
- Hermitage of la Virgen de la Soledad
- Hermitage Dulce Nombre de Jesús
- Chapel de La Atalaya
- Nasrid bridge of Ortegícar
- Castle Arch