Gaucín, the white beauty of its streets does not leave any visitor indifferent. The town offers all kinds of tourism just a step away from the popular Costa del Sol.
Where is Gaucín located
Gaucín is located 127km from Malaga capital with a population of 1.576 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 98,24km square.
The origin of the name Gaucín
The Romans built a fortress that the Arabs would later reform. Precisely, this fortress today in ruins and abandoned, was built on the rock that gives its name to the town: “Sair Guazan” which means “Strong Rock“.
Denonym of the people of Gaucín
The inhabitants are called “gaucinense”.
Monuments and places to visit in Gaucín
- Castle of Águila (Eagles Castle): Located at a height of 688 seated on a mount of limestone rocks. The set is made up of three walled enclosures in the first enclosure that was used to protect the population and livestock that houses the Santo Niño hermitage and the old hospital. The second enclosure contains two cisterns. The third enclosure contained the citadel and where the Torre de la Reina (Queens Tower) is located. On several occasions attempts were made to reconquer the castle, highlighting the attempt in 1305 by Guzmán El Bueno who met his death defending the area. It was finally conquered in 1485. In 1810 it served as a resistance during the French invasion. It is currently the object of archaeological studies, recovering objects and ceramics from the Caliphate period.
- Hermitage of Santo Niño: Located inside the castle, it suggests that it was built long before, but it was built in the 18th century. Formed by a main nave covered by a vault. After a reform, a smaller nave separated by semicircular arches was added. The main chapel is square covered by a vault decorated with plasterwork. In the side nave there is a dressing room dedicated to San Juan de Dios where the image from the 17th century is preserved. The image of great devotion and admiration in the town was brought from Ceuta as an offering for the appearance of the Child Jesus.
- Fuente de los Seis Caños
- Church of San Sebastián: The original church was built in 1485 after the reconquest of Ronda, it underwent a profound remodeling in the 17th century. The temple is divided by three naves separated by thick pillars with semicircular arches. The interior houses an altarpiece with three bodies presided over by Saint Sebastian together with an image of the Virgen de las Nieves, patron saint of Gaucín. The facade has a Renaissance air with a brick portal with columns. The square bell tower topped with a pyramidal roof.
- Convent de los Carmelitas