Villanueva de Tapia, surrounded by olive groves of great ecological value. The Royal Cattle Fair is one of the oldest in the region.
Where is Villanueva de Tapia located
Villanueva de Tapia is located 65km from Malaga capital with a population of 1476 inhabitants. The municipal term has a dimension of almost 22,12km square.
The origin of the name Villanueva de Tapia
Denonym of the people of Villanueva de Tapia
The inhabitants are called “tapiense” or “entredichero or entredichera”.
Monuments and places of interest Villanueva de Tapia
- Church of San Pedro Apóstol: Located in the Plaza de España. The church was built in 1624. The façade underwent important modifications in the years 1778 and 1897. The tower stands out for its height and color over the white houses, the tower clock was incorporated in 1948. The interior houses multiple images : Our Father Jesús Nazareno (18th century), Our Lady of Sorrows (18th century), Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Peace, Saint Joseph and Saint Peter.
- Oral Tradition Interpretation Center – Old San Antonio washhouse: The old public washhouse was formerly the place to wash clothes and was also a social meeting point. It has now been converted into an interpretation center dedicated to the Intangible Heritage of the Oral Tradition. A center that emphasizes the traditions of the area such as old songs and poems. The traditions are explained through informative posters and images. To preserve the public laundry well, a glass floor has been built on top so as not to damage and take advantage of the space.
- Hermitage of the Virgen de Gracia: Located near the Avenida de la Constitución. It is a simple hermitage but with a modern and elegant architecture. The interior houses an old painted image of the Virgen de Gracia.
- Casa de la Cantina: Located in the Plaza de España next to the church. For many decades it was a store where you could buy all kinds of items. But it is an emblematic building of the town when it comes to structure and architecture of the 19th century.
- Fuente de Allalantes: Located next to the Avenida de la Constitución, it is one of the most emblematic places in the town and at the same time one of the oldest monuments. Created in the 17th century to supply the town with water, especially for domestic use and as a watering hole for animals. Formerly, this fountain was located on the outskirts of the town center and when the neighbors went to fetch water, they said that they were going to the fountain “Allí alante” hence the name Fuente de Allalantes.
- Trifinio Monolith: Monument located just on the outskirts of the town that delimits where the three provinces meet: Malaga. Cordoba and Granada. Each panel contains images of the outstanding monuments of the province. The monolith was created by local artist Julián Hinojosa.